Thursday, June 2, 2011

Horn Fuse Keeps Blowing; It started with a stressed out Horn?

My horn fuse burns out every time I try to blow horn.

Its an automatic 97 Honda Accord SE.



Sequence of Events leading to the problem: -



1) Security alarm went off and the horn was screaming continuously

2) While I was trying to figure out how to disarm my alarm, at some point the horn stopped working

3) After I finally disarmed the security system, I realized couldn't get the car to change gears from Parking to Drive.

4) After some research, I realized that my horn fuse has blown off. (The same fuse is tied to rear brake lights. The car wouldn't let me shift gears while the tail lights are inoperable. Its a security feature I guess).

5) Changing the fuse lets me shift gears and drive. But the fuse blows off the moment I press on the horn - And I am stranded again!!



The wiring diagram :-



Fuse is serially connected to [ (a) and (b) in parallel ]

(a) Horn Relay-%26gt;Clockspring-%26gt;Horn switch-%26gt;Ground

(b) Relay Slave-%26gt;Horn-%26gt;Ground



What happened? Any possible fix?Horn Fuse Keeps Blowing; It started with a stressed out Horn?A very strange problem indeed. I am not familiar with Hondas, but I would find it very strange for the horn and brake lights to be tied to the same fuse. If that fuse is preventing operation of your car then I would suspect a wiring problem of some kind (a bad ground somewhere as previously stated in another post is very likely). You may try disconnecting the wire from your horn(s) to see if that prevents the fuse from being blown when you try to honk your horn, then you know your horn is the problem. If that doesn't change blowing the fuse, then your problem is likely in the wiring harness where some bare wires may be shorting out somewhere, very hard to track down. Good luck.Horn Fuse Keeps Blowing; It started with a stressed out Horn?Check that ground. Run another one if you need to...you might want to run another ground just in case. Simply splice another wire and run it to a piece of bare metal connected to the car. Check for bare wires anywhere along the route as it could be a short. Electric tape works wonders in this situation.Horn Fuse Keeps Blowing; It started with a stressed out Horn?check your battery terminal connections. I had the same problem with my 2001 Grand Prix. It has a aftermarket alarm system no it. If the alarm system is not getting enough power it will lock up the shifter so you cant get it out of park. A bad connection will also cause your alarm to go off. Clean the battery terminals and the cables off.
  • computer eye strain
  • computer slow freezes up
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment